Monday, January 24, 2011

God's Promises Are Always True

I believe this with every fiber of my being.  God has proven Himself over and over to me in the last 15 years that I have been a Christian.  Now, He may not answer every prayer in the way that I would like for Him to, but He answers it in the way that He knows is best.  He can see the future that we cannot see. And every time I look back at a prayer that was not answered in the way I wanted, I see that God's way was always the best way. And, any promises that He makes in His Word, He keeps.  God cannot lie (Titus 1:2) and He never changes (Malachi 3:6). Some of His promises are conditional, i.e. we have to do something in order for Him to do what He has promised, however, others are not.  I do not intend to go into all of those in this post, though. 

I have been listening to Pastor James MacDonald of Harvest Bible Chapel in Elgin, Illinois for the last week or two teaching on the Promises of God and more specifically on a series called, "Always True."  It has been just awesome!  And the first lesson covered 'fear,' which is something that I personally struggle with, even though I know that "God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."  2 Timothy 1:7.  Still I do struggle. So his teaching was an encouragement and blessing to me. Anyway, I got this devotional from his website, https://www.walkintheword.com/, on God's Promises and wanted to share it with you:

God Is Always Victorious; I Will Not Fail

"No weapon that is fashioned against you shall succeed, and you shall confute every tongue that rises against you in judgment. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD and their vindication from me, declares the LORD." Isaiah 54:17

I've spent a lot of time lately thinking about trials. At the end of the day, if you pinpoint what's difficult about the trial, it's the not knowing. The biggest reason why I fear and doubt; despair and falter—is that I don't know how it's all going to end. That's why I'm so thankful for this great promise: God is always victorious; I will not fail.

It turns out that I do know how this all ends—God wins. In Him, so do I! That's the promise in Isaiah 54:17.

This is one of my absolute favorite verses in the whole Bible. Read it again. God made this awesome assertion to the postexilic Israelites as they came back to the land that He had promised them. Judgment was over and now blessing was coming. God gave them this promise and extended it by His grace to all of His children.

This promise literally means that nothing "formed against you shall prosper." Nothing built, sharpened, aimed, or fired against you, your family, your church family, God's kingdom, or God's people will succeed. They may seem to win for a while—a job may be lost; a child may wander and be lost; and a life may even be lost—but in the end even these tragedies will assist God's prospering of those who are truly His.

Today is your chance to honor God. This is your opportunity to prove the superiority of the life lived in Jesus Christ. Now is the time not to be held back!

Just like you, I have uncertainties. I have health concerns. I have burdens in my family and in my marriage and in my career. I'm going through the same struggles that the people who don't know Christ are going through. The difference is, I have the Lord. I have the Spirit of God alive inside me. I have the grace to love when I'm hated. I have the strength to give when I'm taken advantage of. I have a supernatural capacity as one of God's sons or daughters to live in Christ.

I have the promises of God. So do you.
-James MacDonald

Isn't this awesome?!  I highly recommend you checking out his website above and finding a station in your area to catch his broadcasts.  He is a wonderful Bible teacher and man of God.

God bless!  :o)

3 comments:

  1. Great post! Have you seen James MacDonald's new book that sparked this series? It's called Always True: God's 5 Promises When Life Is Hard and is a wonderful Scripturally-based, practical help for knowing and clinging to the promises of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy! I actually ordered the book just last week after hearing his sermon series on the radio the last couple of weeks on God's Promises. The Series has been just awesome and I am really looking forward to reading the book!! Thanks so much for your input on the book, I really appreciate it! God Bless you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also like to encourage anyone reading this to check out James MacDonald's ministry at http://www.walkintheword.com. You can find his book Always True there as well as his sermon series on God's Promises. :o)

    ReplyDelete